Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Doug Block video - March 14th

One of the things I found so compelling about this documentary was how ordinarily American the Blocks were. They fit the typical American roles so perfectly that I think a lot of people can relate to their story. If they'd been too different, then no matter how good the story was, it would not relate to other Americans. The mother felt sufocated and a distant father, which was for many baby boomer family. However, I don't feel that it related particularly well to our generation. The story about middle-aged people caring for their aging parents isn't something that we are quite aware of. But I still enjoyed the documentary especially once the diaries were found.

For the purposes of this class, I think the ethical question is whether Doug was right in divluging the private diaries of his mom to the public. Yet I feel his mother made the effort to write, and keep, her diaries. He did not come across a disclaimer that would have offered evidence of her wishes. And I don't know if anyone who keeps a diary keeps it private forever. I feel that diarists secretly want others to eventually read their story. Finally, it was Doug himself who made the documentary not some stranger. It seems as though he had the approval of his sisters and his father who are the people interested in his mother's legacy. But I think it would be an interesting question for Doug to see if he struggle with the decision to make the movie.

No comments: